Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Examples of Layers (not my photographs)

Here is an example of a portrait with layers. Although there are only three layers, this photograph works because the layers nicely complement each other. The wood goes well with the umbrella, and the bright red shirt adds contrast to both layers. The layers are somewhat intersecting, but it does not make the photograph hard to interpret.

This is a beautiful photograph with six layers, and no layers are intersecting. It is definitely my favorite example of layering that I have chosen so far. The leading lines and contrasting sky are what makes this photograph work. The sun is also kind of framed by the railing.

There are at least five layers in this photograph. The sky and the texture of the fence are what makes this picture work. The houses and mountainside intersect with the fence a little, but it doesn't negatively affect the photograph.



There are at least six layers in this photograph. I really can't decide if I like this photograph because it has so much going on in it. The framing is probably what makes it work. There are some intersecting layers that make the picture confusing and hard to interpret.




This assignment made me a better photographer because it gave me a better understanding of how layers are best used.
Fiber paper is a museum grade paper because it mimics the texture of a painting better than glossy paper does. It also does not reflect light like glossy paper.

I thought my layered prints were good examples of layering. I liked that both of my photographs had at least five layers. I especially liked my first photograph because there were no intersecting layers, and the little girl was framed by the reflection of the trees in the water. My second photograph definitely could have used some more dodging and burning even though I spent a few days trying to perfect it.



1 comment:

  1. Hello Sadie,

    you are showing and discussing one of my photos (the last one) in this blogpost. Unfortunately, you did not ask for permission to use my picture, so technically this is a copyright infringement. As this is a very small and non-commercial blog I'll offer the following: just add a link to my blog (8minutesold.com) to your post and you can keep the picture here.

    Cheers,
    Marcel

    ReplyDelete